Monday, May 10, 2010

The fun theory!

The fun theory is something I experienced first hand around 6 months ago while in training for a program that helps overweight and obese children and their families become 'fitter, healthier and happier'. As exercise delivery is 50% of the program, myself and the other 9 health professionals (at an average age of 25) were taught and had to participate in a variety of different games and options to make exercise more fun for kids, obviously for adherence reasons.

We walked in that day- a bunch of sedate, mature, graduates trying to complete the necessary assessments to either break into the industry or make some money while we furthered our career in the field.

The scenes walking out that day could only be compared to home time after a 6 year olds mcdonalds party - the kids exhausted from running around, but still on a sugar high, begging their parents to stay for one more go on the slippery dip!

Never in my life had I had such a workout while having so much fun. And that's when I started thinking - how can we have an obesity epidemic when exercise can be this much fun?

I was brought back to a sober reality when I considered how many people aged 12 and over I had seen having fun at all lately, let alone while exercising.

I think we were all better for having taken part in that training and I'm glad to say I now promote the Fun Theory in almost every exercise I prescribe, especially in 'Fitness Boost' -one of the most enjoyable and easiest to partake in and adhere to exercise experiences you'll ever have!

Anyway, here's the vid that inspired this blog:




If you're interested in getting started in Exercise with EYP, contact Kyle on 0466 524 187 or via email: exerciseyourpotential@iinet.net.au

No comments:

Post a Comment